Mine was Friday. It was not just the last day of the school week, but more of a symbol of freedom and fun. Friday for me was better than Saturday or Sunday because it was the day I was most likely to break out of the norm. The day that my standard routine was broken, and excitement was bound to be waiting around the corner. Friday was the day I was most likely to get on my BFF's bus and go to his house to stay the night. I would of-course be treated to strange and exotic foods. What made tacos exotic had nothing to do with the spices. No it was the simple fact that my mother had not prepared them. Friday was also the day that your teacher was most likely to play heads up seven up, read "My Side of the Mountain", or just let you visit without making you learn stuff. These things always made up for that darn spelling test that always came on Friday and that I never seamed to do very well on. (Do kids these days even have spelling tests? Or do that have Spell Check tests? The child that can write a document with the least amount of spell check red lines gets an A.)
Yes Friday was the best day of the week. Friday was the day that the lunch lady would hand out pizza and chocolate milk, the finest two foods ever created by man, or at least that was my opinion when I was eight years old. I'm sure as an adult it must have been enjoyable to see the joy on every child's face as they gobbled down floppy cheese pizza. To listen to the sound of one hundred tiny hands shaking one hundred tiny milk cartons so as to make the contents a perfect blend of chocolaty frothy goodness. Yes I imagine Friday was the best day of the week for the teachers too.
I miss those days of anticipation and delight. Perhaps I should start playing the lottery and drinking an iced mocha on Fridays. I doubt I will win, and I know I don't need the extra calories, but maybe, just maybe I can recapture that feeling I had when I was eight.
No comments:
Post a Comment