Friday, August 19, 2011

Giving it the Ol' College Try


This week marked my 13th wedding anniversary, and my gift to my beautiful wife is a new patio table. Times are a bit tight for us, so buying one is just not possible, well let me rephrase, buying something that is better than the beat up old patio table and chairs that we already have would be implausible. So I have gathered together as much free lumber as I could find, and settled into the garage for the week to build an eight foot banquet table with detached bench seating. Below is a picture of the four foot table I am using for my design inspiration.
Why am I telling you about this? Good question. When you are alone in the shop, wearing goggles, face mask, and earplugs you have a lot of time for introspective thought. In fact sanding is almost like the old sensory deprivation tanks that remove everything but your thoughts, very therapeutic. I have been thinking about how my life has changed for the better since I left my job one year ago with the intention of earning an engineering degree with a focus on renewable energy.
Before that life altering decision I would never have been confident enough to take on a project like a patio table. I would have dreamed about it though, I may have even bought some supplies with the intention of building it, but I would never have done it. I would always have put it off, weekend after weekend I would have had an excuse as to why I couldn't start it. Then it would be fall and what point is there in building a patio table that I couldn’t use until the next year, and in one fell swoop I would have put it off until the following spring. The cycle would have gone on like this indefinitely, and in fact I have been talking about building a table for the back yard for about 3 years now. The problem was not in my “know how.” Though I am not an experienced carpenter, my father is, and I could have asked him how to build the table. The problem was that I had no confidence in myself. I was certain that it would turn out horrible, not only would it be wobbly, but it would probably collapse as soon as the first paper plate grazed its surface.
College has all but eliminated that nagging self doubt. Its not that I am taking classes that have taught me anything new about wood working, or even design. This fall will be my first actual engineering class. No my knowledge has not increased when it comes to DIY projects. The only thing that has changed is my outlook on life, and an improved self image. I have finally realized that I am worthy of a chance. I am worthy of an education. I am actually a fairly smart guy who has something to offer this world other than customer service with a smile. Even if I create a table that is obviously home made, and even if it does have a little wobble to it, that doesn't matter. Ever bite of back yard BBQ will taste better while sitting at that table because it will be a symbol of confidence, of taking a chance to succeed. That and remember it is a wedding anniversary gift, so it will symbolize my love for my wife, be a testament to the amazing thirteen years we have already shared, and will serve as a stable platform to support countless years to come. Yada, yada, yada, blah, blah, blah.  ;-)
Just a little update to this post. I finally finished the table on October 19th. It took me nearly two months but I think it turned out pretty good. Here is a picture of it on my back porch the day I finished it.


1 comment:

  1. I'm lucky enough to have seen and touched this beautiful piece of work/art. Gorgeous as it is (and it truly is), I think your thoughts about the experience are even more impressive. I feel lucky to count you among my friends!

    ReplyDelete